The Super Rod Years
- January - moved into two units in the World Heritage town of Blaenavon, South Wales and start trading in March.
- Claire Scammell joins us straight from school as 'Girl Friday' and is now our longest serving employee and in is charge of procurement.
- Out of the blue, a letter tells us that we have won the Professional Electrician and Installer 2001 Top Product Award - we all went out to celebrate!!
- We attended our first exhibition. After hearing the stories and receiving many ideas from enthusiastic customers got us hooked, we now attend several shows a year.
- Our first ever Export sale (Norway).
- After helping with a customer's staff training session, the ladies enter a competition to see which of them can sell the first 'Black Stiffy'!
- R&D's Jeff Hall takes the Managing Director's wife into a darkened room to show her his 'Black Stiffy' with a light on the end - and so the Super Beam was born. A second Professional Electrician and Installer Top Product Award lifts our wintery blues.
- The establishment of Super Rod's 'French Desk' results in increased export sales.
- It's a Hat Trick! Three consecutive wins of the Professional Electrician and Installer Top Product of the Year.
- Christmas is cancelled in order to meet aspirations of another French customer.
- The first articulated lorry to arrive empty and leave full of Super Rod product bound for France.
- The Chinese and Indians try and muscle in on our act with copy cat products but customers see through them and stay loyal.
- Managing Director Bob learns how to do it properly and gains the Institute of Directors's Diploma.
- Super Rod begins exporting to Ireland.
- We all need spoiling sometimes! All of Super Rod and partners attend the races - what a great day was had.
- Super Rod take some of their key suppliers and customers to the Wales v Ireland Grand Slam match. Super Rod's attempt at hospitality became infamous when ground staff and police arrest a guest for possession of a duplicate ticket.
- Super Rod start exporting to Spain!
- Bob's dog throws the Super Rod management team meeting into chaos when it lay down in middle of room and gave birth to six puppies. Broody thoughts from our young staff are quickly shattered!
- Super Rod win the NICEIC Best Product of the Last 50 Years - as voted for by installers - this is a hug achievement - we are so very proud!
- Red Nose Day - the athletic racing snake Scott works in nothing but red briefs
- Export agreement in Germany is signed.
- Bob sells a chunk of Super Rod to friend and customer Malcolm Duncan. Malcolm takes over as Managing Director and Bob as Chairman of the board.
- Super Rod helps two products to market - The Kablemate and Cavity Master. Both products are the ideas of individual working electricians trying to making life easier for themselves.
- Our first official forum meeting of innovative 'Sparkies' end up trying to sail in the Bristol Channel in a flat calm- no one can explain what this has to do with product developmet.
- The inaugural Annual Super Rod Conker Tournament is launched. Designer Pete wins with an untreated (he says) conker, but will the beleaguered horse chestnut trees survive long enough to allow others to get there revenge this autumn.
- Production Dave gains new respect for company loyalty - he arrives at the Christmas party with the words 'Super Rod' shaved into his fine head of hair.
- Grand Slam Rugby hospitality goes off without any arresting incidents this time!
- Malcolm is asked to join EEIBA as a trustee.
- The Queen gives us all a very special seven year birthday present. We are indebted to her and our staff, suppliers, customers and many friends within the electrical industry. Thank you very much.